Sunday, November 9, 2008

Actively in the New Zealand landscape

I'm just back from a wonderful weekend in the nearby Ahuriri valley. One of my favourite places since I was a kid. Access is just so easy, it's so quiet and offers so much be it for the landscape photographer, artist, fisherman, or like myself in my early days for: canoeing, tramping and mountaineering.

I've always thought someone made a great job on this range of cutting out the sky to match the ridge...
ahuriri400-1.jpg

The greens in this landscape attracted my attention...
ahuriri.jpg

Lambing is late in these high country parts. A few days ago there was 3 inches of snow here...
ahuriri400-3.jpg

Birchwood Station, with my favourite Mt Barth in the back ground...
ahuriri400-2.jpg

Overnight the weather came in wild, and today, it made for much wind and cold rain near Canyon Creek...
ahuriri400-4.jpg

In the last 3 posts I've written extensively about perception and reality, and with today's upcoming storm I was reminded quite vividly that our New Zealand mountains are not the place to go to sort out your head, or be a guru in, but places of extreme reality and environment. Thus I reckon a trip or two where bad weather intrudes brings out the best in life!

Labels: , , ,

Share |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home