Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A light trip back to Glenorchy and the Rees

Who was Rees you may well ponder? I recall from my school history days that perhaps he was a prospector. And although many are motivated by gold, last weekend my photographer and tramping friend Roger joined me to do some prospecting for images back in the area that was the focus of my recent posts on a Rees/Dart tramping trip.

However often in life in our rush to reach a goal we overlook many things, including, in my case an intriguing lagoon area with board-walks very near Glenorchy...
glenorchy-lagoon-1.jpg

glenorchy-lagoon-2.jpg

glenorchy-lagoon-3.jpg

There happened to be some old "kiwiana" style clutter begging to be imaged nearby...
glenorchy-building-4.jpg

Forever the romantic though, my eyes wander quickly to the far hills - in this case [left to right] the Dart Valley, Mt Alfred, Mt Earnslaw and the Rees Valley. All old friends...
glenorchy-lagoon-5.jpg

You can't keep a good man down they say, especially Roger in his self induced [photographic] zone in the Rees...
rees-6.jpg

Anyone care to make a caption for this shot...
rees-7.jpg

From top to bottom: my shorts, my knees, and my toes...
rees-8.jpg

Perched on a cliff for a bird's eye view of the renown Muddy Creek - stopper of many a car and 4wd every time it rains and a few more tons of soft-rock is ground up and gravitated down the hill...
rees-9.jpg

Where we camped on Sat. night in the Rees - a strong sunset...
rees-10.jpg

On Sunday morning we were approached by some stranded climbers who had got their 4wd stuck way up the Rees in soft gravel and water. Like little kids we played in the water and sun extricating their Hi Lux, which was all a bit engrossing, so I never did make a photo of their dilemma, but Roger was there with his tripod 'till way after they drove off at speed - I'd said "give it heaps" if they ever had any more sinking feelings, and it seems they took me literally...
rees-11.jpg

My trusty camper was a bit of a hero of the day - she can be high and mighty, but loved most of all for the kitchen stove in the back, and therefore sometimes she is known as "Cafe Toyota"...
rees-12.jpg

Back in Glenorchy for a real coffee we did predictably wander about. You maybe forgiven for thinking this man is jumping from a moving train, but no, he had just been doing some more shooting, and I captured the get-away...
rees-13.jpg

On closing please be aware that this blog is now on a new server, and there is some fine tuning to do soon as blogger has changed in a technical sense how we publish to our own domain names. So if it is static for awhile please pop in later. Meanwhile having got it shifted and tested via this post [noted odd things appearing on the right column, and comments one post behind], I'm behind on reading and commenting on the excellent blogs I follow.

Btw a heads up on a new local blog by friends D and G "Touring the Deep South of NZ"

Cheers

Donald

Labels: , , , ,

Share |

6 Comments:

Blogger Donald said...

Testing comments

February 10, 2010 at 7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the getaway shot of Roger. Give it heaps!

February 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Ruahines said...

Kia ora Donald,
Awesome my friend. My own absence from the mountains, makes your trip here all the more relevant to me. This government is out of control. Jesus!
Your place here is one of refuge for Like Minded People. Kia ora.
Rangimarie,
Robb

February 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

I am tempted to feel envious of a person who lives so close to those mountains and can go there at ease and anytime the mood takes - but I remind myself the coast is good too and there's plenty of good exploring here as well.

February 16, 2010 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

Hi there - I tried to put a comment on here yesterday but each time my computer internet freaked out and disconnected me. I'll try not to look to meaningfully in that and see symbolism that doesn't exist. I think I only had one thing to say and it was something along the lines of that it's easy to be envious of a person who has such landscape so easily accessible to him or her but I am reminded that each part of the country has its own enticements and perhaps a mountain dweller would be envious of someone who had the sea so close by and available. There you are nothing deep in those thoughts. Cheers MArg

February 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hi Marg

I regret I may have caused you some grief: I have Comment Moderation on to stop the *pammers that are trying to use my blog, and while working on another blog I left it a few hours before allowing your welcome comment. I've also tightened it up further now" commenters have to have a Google account.

Yes, I agree with you re coastal areas, and I'm actually realising it's time I walked a beach or two again in bare feet!

Cheers

Donald

February 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home