Sunday, December 6, 2009

The theme of past follies continues

For my last two posts I've visited the past - first a family internment and then about the local celebration of the first ascent of Mt Aspiring last weekend. Well the trend continues: this week gone by I attended our annual Wanaka Search and Rescue helicopter training. While it's tempted me to write about adventures around helicopters and rescues that went well or not-so-well, a friend has recently lent me his new colour slide scanner so I've gone intensely for scanning hundreds of my landscape photography collection which goes back 40 years or more. It can do about 40 an hour, which is a lot better than my one at 8/hr. So dear readers, I've been so delighted with the results I've decided to share some of my favourite images from what seems like a past life:

Bluffs and rainbow on Mt Hooker taken from Marks Flat in South Westland. In fact I spent a week looking at this hillside while living under a nice rock riding out a nor wester once. Rocks are very peaceful things to live under as soon as I get over thinking about earthquakes, but none-the-less it was really nice to see this little reminder of sunshine...
mt-hooker-bluffs.jpg

Market gardens in North Otago...
market-gardens-oamaru.jpg

Mt Hooker - waterfall...
mt-hooker-waterfall.jpg

Bush with light-shafts in seaward Kaikouras...
bush-light-shafts-kaikoura.jpg

Sunset on an Otago beach...
sunset-on-sea-otago.jpg

And to finish on something not 30 years old, the new Squirrel coming in carefully for our recent Search and Rescue practice...
squirell.jpg

Not a good situation in which to contemplate walking uphill away from the helicopter!
squirell-2.jpg





Labels: , , , , , , ,

Share |

3 Comments:

Blogger Bob McKerrow - Wayfarer said...

Kia Ora Donald

Great photos and for me a trip down memory lane. You mentioned the first ascent of Mt. Aspiring. Alec Graham, or was it Peter, told Teichelmann they did not like Jead one little bit, and would have preferred to climb with Teichy.

Head and Samuel Turner had so much in common.

December 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM  
Blogger Ruahines said...

Kia ora Donald,
Great to see the photos, and I love seeing the early ones, a lot of history there and excellent you can share with us. My favourite is the sunlight filtering through the bush - a wholly New Zealand quality to that one!
It has been fantastic to connect with you this year and discover like minded souls concerned about these wild places, fatherhood, and a love of these wonderful back yards we have to play in. May you have a fine and peace filled Yuletide season.
Cheers,
Robb

December 12, 2009 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hi Bob

I once met an enthusiastic admirer of Turner who'd been given a pocket knife as an appreciation for his witnessing something or other on Cook [maybe]. I guess it's significant of how we handle ego driven news that I can't recall why, as it all seemed a crock of whatever!

But maybe this was my ego too, but such is history! Which btw I'm looking forward over these holidays to reading up on all you've published, and doing some of my own.

Cheers

Donald

December 28, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home