Sunday, October 11, 2009

The start of summer trips

Hopes of getting away for an overnight tramp with my son did not eventuate in the last week. Maybe it was just as well too, as on one 3/4 day trip we experienced very windy conditions at the relatively low altitude of nearby Lake Hawea, where we did quite a bit of exploring.

The spectacular private road to Dingleburn Station...
dingleburn-1.jpg

I'm not sure when this road got built, but it was relatively recently and Ian S. the station owner apparently became a bit of legend in the doing of it. In his later years my dad and uncle spent a lot of time with Sarge over on the Coast, after my mum and aunt passed away within 3 months of each other back in the seventies...
dingleburn-2.jpg

I'm quite a fan of making photographs of our native Cabbage trees. This one has been through a fire though...
dingleburn-3.jpg

Dougal admires the view...
dingleburn-4.jpg

I had no idea Mt Aspiring could be seen from this area...
dingleburn-5.jpg

I've never seen a quail hang out in/on bracken fern before either...
quail.jpg

Over the weekend one of my close friends Ian flew down from Wellington for a overnighter with me in my camper truck. I met him in Queenstown and we visited a few mutual friends then adjourned to nearby Moke Lake, and did a moderate walk in this area reeking in gold mining history.

Towards Moonlight and Ben Lomond Station...
moonlight-1.jpg

Looking back towards Moke Lakemoonlight-2.jpg

And lastly dawn this morning - a smaller lake nearby...
moke.jpg

This week's site, The Green Children's Blog. A lot to look through, but inspiring.. more>>

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Share |

5 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

I have to say - these are truly lovely photos. How fabulous never to take view for granted.

October 12, 2009 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hi Marg

Thanks for your nice comments. It's fun taking photos, but it's even more fun to share them, and hopefully both processes draw our attention to awareness and sensitivity.

I've certainly learnt that it's all about "seeing" and interestingly I find it straight forward in our amazing outdoors to be inspired and make an interesting photo [I have the light, now where is the subject!?], but the real "seeing" is that in our everyday lives, our small backyards etc. This terrain is the one that tests us!

I hope you're doing well and have settled down to a life involving less travel, but of course that maybe seasonal? .... whatever keep up the good work and thanks for dropping by.

Yours

Donald

October 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Ruahines said...

Kia ora Donald,
Well it may not have been an overnight walk but what a fine one indeed. What glorious scenery, both the upclose, ie cabbage tree, and the beautiful figure of Aspiring in the the distance. And all set against that amazing blue sky. It just has to be good for you!
Cheers,
Robb

October 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hi Robb

Yes it was a great walk. Easy but it left us nicely tired and we did some good talking. Also considering the wind not evident in the blue sky it was wise to be mindful of the edge!

Blue skies are sometimes thought to be a bit uninteresting in landscape photography, but you have to take the good with the bad.

Anyway now school is back other aspects of life emerge again, but it's only 5 or so weeks and it's all go for the next break.

Cheers

Donald

October 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

Hi Donald - thank you for your comments on my blog (that I finally got around to creating) A long time ago I recall wondering ( by way of comment) how it was if no one left comments after you put a post up? Actually I find this is the least thing that worries me.I mean I really enjoy the feedback but I am so aware that I personally often read what people write and don't comment but nevertheless really appreciate and enjoy what people have to say about their day to day lives and I know it enriches my own. Im enjoying the creative moments of putting a post together even though in doing so I am neither a writer nor a photographer.
Anyway in answer to your question - the trams in the print are the high street trams. Even though you cant see my house in the picture you practically could if you knew where to look. There is a group here in dunedin who would like to restore this tramline. I think it would be amazing if they did and it's a tragedy they ever took it out.
Lastly the recipe for the coconut biscuits comes from the recipe book I bought on Stewart Island earlier in the year when I was there for work.I bought the book because I thought it was so hilarious to find recipes so adapted to the island community. Also it has great basic recipes like coconut biscuits ( easily converted to gluten free) You are welcome to the recipe. Thanks Marg

October 18, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home