Sunday, August 23, 2009

A busy week, a short storm and the inaugural New Zealand Winter Games

In the week past I was able to relax again into some pretty steady work after too many diverse things going on over the last few weeks. Weeks before this I somewhat thoughtlessly volunteered to help for a couple of days right now on the cross country skiing aspects of the inaugural New Zealand Winter Games, and as the time grew nigh I was fretting a bit that I'd have to sacrifice a few things. However as it turned out yesterday I did not miss competing in the prelude event, the Snow Farm's Merino Muster - I simply did not feel the need to ski 21 Km to the tune of a clock.

As it turned out, just like last Sat., I really enjoyed pottering around town and home noting the first signs of spring, and having Dougal about. And besides, as forecast the high cloud moved in a bit and last night, to the consternation of friends organising the first Nordic ski event in the Games, it rained heavily in town - a warm rain too, which is not good, however the snow line was just low enough as it turned out.

I was away from home in the dark for my time keeping job at the Games this morning, and made these dawn shots when I arrived in the car park at the Snow Farm...
winter-games-1.jpg

winter-games-2.jpg

As my job demanded an alertness out of keeping with such an early start I contented myself with making photos of the start/finish area...
winter-games-3.jpg

Not a rainbow as such, but more an ice crystal bow...
winter-games-4.jpg

Helping on these events is both mentally and physically demanding, but I do find it's a really good way to get to know people, as we're often teamed up with another local for 3-4 hours, and during the quiet moments we can learn quite a lot. In this case it was one of my client/friends Andrew who has done many expeditions diving and camera work in Fiordland and Antarctica - two of my favourite places, so it was far from the "sacrifice" I've mentioned above. Andrew has been diving doing film work for more than 35 years around Fiordland, Stewart Island, Chatham Islands, Otago and the subantarctic islands. too and with such a broad knowledge of the natural world, is really interesting company.

Andrew gets a mention in this rather long page of text, but there are some great still shots



Labels: , , , ,

Share |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home