Sunday, July 4, 2010

The same old...

...cross country skiing that is! I've been at the Snow farm most evenings of late tearing it up on the long trails... getting my serious bout of repetitive exercise for the year. And loving it! Probably doing about 12 Kms per night finishing just after dark. Acclimatisation is always interesting - the ability to travel fast with no sweating in minimal clothing. Since less weight is everything it is a significant factor in the enjoyment, and now it's kicking in once again. Our bodies are quite amazing really!

The new camera is all I wished for in this environment too. I wanted low light capability and more control of the technical side and although it's taking awhile to figure it all out, it's nice and fast and light to carry as it delivers the aforementioned.

My knees, boots, skis and poles...
snow-farm-1.jpg

Descent to the River Run...
snow-farm-2.jpg

The last of the sun for the day...
snow-farm-3.jpg

How do little waterfalls like this freeze, as per the centre section? Is it a "snap" process, or do they grow, and if so from the bottom or the top first!? I've never felt inclined to hang about in minus 12 to watch...
snow-farm-4.jpg

My favourite spot to watch the last of the sun from...
snow-farm-5.jpg

Labels:

Share |

7 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

I've been reading recently about building resilience and how in part that comes for people when they find what they love to do and do it with passion. Your amazing photos probably reflect that for you and make me reflect on the reason why Im not feeling so resilient right now - because what I used to do I don't do with the same passion which is why I'm moving on. It's in the space that lies between that lies the difficulty...

Still thanks for your comment on my blog which was indeed the most vacuous post I have put up in a while.

July 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I've been reading your notes and viewing your photos with real pleasure - Thanks.

Is it possible that you have any old photos of the Maclean family working their goldmine in the upper Nevis?

July 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I've been reading your notes and viewing your photos with real pleasure - Thanks.

Is it possible that you have any old photos of the Maclean family working their goldmine in the upper Nevis?

July 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Thanks Phil. It's nice to get the feedback.

I don't know much about the history, but the Dept of Conservation have set up a number of displays containing old photos in the valley - old gold dredges etc., so if you got the chance to drive though you might spot something,

I met a hut owner in there once too, and he might know. He's restored an old one mid valley. He lives in Bannockburn and I have his ph. number I believe, so contact me personally on donald@icommunicate.co.nz if you want.

Cheers

Donald

July 7, 2010 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

In truth Marg, when I feel in a "vacuous" mood I just do photos with minimal writing!

"resilience", now that is something to think on! You're very good with concepts and words, and I'm always left the better for them thanks. They're full of wisdom, and maybe that is part of how your passion manifests!?

More soon... I shall email.

Cheers

Donald

July 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Bob McKerrow - Wayfarer said...

Great posting. We must learn to push ourselves beyound our own self imposed limitations. Keep at it. Bob

July 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hi Bob

Hope you're enjoying being back home.

>We must learn to push ourselves beyound our own self imposed limitations.

You're comment is very inspiring thanks

Cheers

Donald

July 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home