Monday, September 12, 2011

Contrasts - Dunedin

I'm just back from a mini vacation break in Dunedin. There was Rugby World Cup fever everywhere, and that was an interesting energy.

But springtime... I have a habit of heading directly to the Botanical Gardens. One I learnt many years ago when I lived in Mt Cook Village for a few winters: it was such a life affirming experience to sample spring in these gardens with my ex Kris, while I often lived with snow at Mt Cook.

The rhododendrons are always amazing, but this visit it was the magnolias that stole my heart...
#alttext#

But I had a real surprise, as right beside a fountain in the South African area, there is a seat I'd never noticed before, and it's a memorial to an old friend. This discovery really stunned me in a nice way - Ngaire was very special. You could say she'd been present all along, witnessing my recent passings in this area...
#alttext#

#alttext#

A riot of colour...
#alttext#

#alttext#

But life is full of contrasts, and this foreboding building caught my eye nearby...
#alttext#

As did the seedy student area just minutes away again...
#alttext#

Yet there were other contrasts perhaps inspired by all the motels in this area currently housing many World Cup fans, so the students go out on the roofs in sympathy maybe...
#alttext#

This was my favourite photo find 'tho, in the non botanical sense...
#alttext#

Just had to get down low and get some more of the essence of spring towards the end of my wanderings...
#alttext#
Share |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home