Sunday, September 5, 2010

Moody walks and a big shake up

What with a spring weather pattern emerging I've been of a mind to make some landscape photos that have obliging rays of sunlight filtering through the ever pervasive clouds racing by, and alighting on my chosen foreground. For some odd reason mid week I tended to think this might happen at nearby Glendhu Bay, and on the new walkway.

This was as close to obliging light that I got to see, but I did enjoy sitting and waiting in a gentle rain under nearby Kanuka trees, accompanied by much bellbird song...glendhu-bay-walkway.jpg

The walk back was nice and moody, and I was joyfully surprised to briefly sense two Kereru native wood pigeons fly over me. They seem rare in the Wanaka area..
glendhu-bay-5.jpg

Back again two evenings later the light was even less, so I played around with looking at rocks...
glendhu-bay-6.jpg

Which brings to mind the awesome and devastating earthquake that hit Christchurch yesterday morning.
As blogger friend and seasoned Red Cross professional Bob McKerrow put it: "Yes, it is so good to read that no one died. With a name like CHRISTCHURCH, maybe someone was looking over the city?"

I don't think anyone can satisfactorily explain otherwise the fact that no one has died amid such devastation. There are just so many amazing images now on the web, that it takes an age to look at them all.

You can see Bob's excellent overview here>>

... and as of Mon. 6 Sept. here>>

Also friends Gregor and Heather may have lost their house, the damage is so bad here>>

Labels: , , , ,

Share |

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruahines said...

Kia ora Donald,
Love that first image. The sight of snow covered mountains always delights me and gets me looking at the garage and my tramping gear.
Amazing no one was killed, and as you allude to Bob's anaylsis I will leave it there, but even so how lucky did we get. Sorry to read about your friends place and i imagine a lot of folk are looking at such loss. We can always rebuild but it is the personal things lost, photos, momentos, family histories, that make me grieve the most for them.
Cheers,
Robb

September 5, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Dear Robb

Glad you like the image. The pastels appealed to me, and how the rock sat [ever patient].

Yes, we all make emotional investments in our homes and it's even where we start our trips from, and when we return I find the appreciation grows.

So it's going to be hard for many people - maybe not as hard as fire damage, but none-the-less... just so much energy required to even get back to the status quo.

Have a good weekend

Yours

Donald

September 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home