Monday, February 7, 2011

A fast trip to Canterbury

I'm no city person, but last Sat. I found myself in Christchurch briefly. Like many visitors of late I was curious as to what I'd see re. effects of the recent earthquake.

Approaching via the inland scenic route the first and only evidence I noted was all the power pole are no longer vertical! Around Avonside is was really noticeable, and even bizarre. But none of them were quite aligned to my mind, to help me make an image capturing that feeling.

However in quite an unrelated way on the return I found myself in another power distribution related landscape.

Lake Coleridge Village is below the natural lake which was harnessed for power generation by redirecting the outlet, back in 1914...
#alttext#

The power station...
#alttext#

I was really intrigued by the architecture...
#alttext#

The cemetery was sparse with just a 2-3 graves...
#alttext#

But none-the-less quite moving - this young lady was only ten years old...
#alttext#
"If the sight of the blue skies fill you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has the power to move you, if the simple things in nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive"

Where the power house output meets a side branch of the mighty Rakaia river - and that's a wicked nor wester brewing back in the west...
#alttext#

Looking back down the Rakaia on the way up to the lake - 170 vertical meters above the power station...
#alttext#

A very wild and raw evening on Lake Coleridge...
#alttext#

Sunset on leaving the area...
#alttext#

Heading south again on the scenic inland route, the Rakaia has to be crossed at this spot, known as Rakaia Gorge...
#alttext#

Some of you commented on my last posting, so thanks for thoughts as to direction. It's all work in progress, so more soon.

Cheers

Donald

Labels: , , ,

Share |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home