Sunday, November 14, 2010

Routeburn wanderings

I was invited to a 60 th birthday party for work colleague Greg at Kinloch on Sat. evening, and festivities were to begin earlier in the day at the nearby Routeburn Flat's hut.

Not having wandered the Routeburn track since about 1969 I thought I'd make a day of it and see if I could get to Lake Harris and return for nibbles at the hut by 3.30 pm.

Routeburn Flats en-route to Routeburn Falls. Looking up the North Branch of the Routeburn...
#alttext#

The outlet to Lake Harris. Apparently only two weeks ago the lake was frozen over...
#alttext#

Travellers and packs are ferried past a nasty section of the track that still holds winter avalanche debris. It's $75 deal at 12.30 pm each day there is a need, and walkers are advised before departing that it's required. It only takes several minutes, and when the snow has melted in a couple of weeks it'll no longer be necessary...
#alttext#

Lake Harris and outlet. Weather deteriorating too, so I scurried off promptly, after watching the flying productions...
#alttext#

Back by Routeburn Falls hut I spent sometime asking myself what the dynamic waterfalls were sort of telling me, and finally settled on the fact that the vegetation behind the water and this rock comprised a story...
#alttext#

Mattresses at Routeburn Falls hut admiring the view...
#alttext#

Party time at Routeburn Flats hut...
#alttext#

The regulatory swing bridge shot on the return, [with the odd raindrop becoming a worry]...
#alttext#

These downward sloping grasses seemed unusual. I imagine they're host to a modest waterfall during rain storms...
#alttext#





Labels: , ,

Share |

8 Comments:

Blogger Ruahines said...

Kia ora Donald,
What a great way to spend the day. And then end up in a cool place and hut to celebrate. Hope a few cold ones were had!
Cheers,
Robb

November 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Kia ora Robb,

yes as luck would have I was in the right place at the right time, for a wonderful weekend.

Being away early I enjoyed traveling alone in the cool, but as the day unravelled I met some lovely folk. It's a busy place now days too!

I was a bit dehydrated though so, tempting as it seemed I took in only a little thimble full of alcohol!

Cheers

Donald

November 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Shirley Goodwin said...

Lovely photos, Donald. I especially like the waterfall.

November 15, 2010 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hi Shirley,

Thanks. An interesting proposition to capture the essence of... it's so big and awesome it begs a photo of all aspects at once, yet such a view seems to diminish it's soul.

So failing some stunning light event, the only option I could come up with was to go in close!

Cheers

Donald

November 15, 2010 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

What a fun way to spend a birthday and an enjoyable and original way for everyone to get there. SOUnds fun. Im off to combined 90th at tekapo this weekend. I hope I will have as much fun!

November 15, 2010 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hi Marg

Yes good on my friend Greg for having such a good birthday idea for himself. He said that was where he wanted us to be to celebrate. Oddly though no woman folk walked in, and it was only a bit over an hour.

Tekapo sounds fun - I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

Donald

November 15, 2010 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Bob McKerrow - Wayfarer said...

Wow, the trip, the photos.

November 26, 2010 at 5:42 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hi Bob

Every time I do one of the Otago valleys and inevitably post something to my blog, I think of you... probably been there well before me!

Cheers

Donald

November 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home