Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Autumn colours and wanderings

Mostly folk around Wanaka agree with me that autumn is their favourite time of year, and it makes me wonder if this true of all over the South Island of New Zealand?

From a landscape photography point-of-view as the season deepens and the shadows with it we [photographers only I suspect] enjoy the onset of mist, fog and low tangental lighting. "Mood" in other words.

Reflections on the Clutha River...
#alttext#

Meg Hut near the river of the same name that becomes The Roaring Meg where it joins the Kawarau Gorge near Queenstown...
#alttext#

Looking up the Matukituki Valley towards Mt Aspiring...
#alttext#

An ancient landslip highlighted by low lighting in the Meg River area...
#alttext#

Meg Hut again...
#alttext#

Diamond Lake from the track to Rocky Top between the Matukituki Valley and the Matatapu Valley, #alttext#

I've never seen one of these before, but I love the colour...
#alttext#

In autumn and early winter Lake Wanaka becomes quite moody...
#alttext#

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Share |

3 Comments:

Blogger Bob McKerrow - Wayfarer said...

Donald, you capture my heart and trap memories everytime I logk at your central Otago photos.

The Autumn colours make me so homesick.

Well done.

Bob

March 31, 2011 at 3:47 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Hi Bob

Thanks for your nice comments.

I guess in the hills especially we've learnt to carry our homes in our heads to a degree, so it's always nice when away from home [as in our roots] to allow some nostalgia or home sickness kick in.

It's a place to anchor to as well.

Cheers

Donald

March 31, 2011 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Ruahines said...

Kia ora Donald,
I concur with Bob, those colours and views, and the time of year stirs something deep within in me as well.
I feel ready to reconnect with the mountains, though with the roar on in the Ruahine, I will just wait patiently for another few weeks or so and let the hunters clear out a bit. I like the deep autumn and winter in the mountains best. Though the days are shorter they seen more vibrant and rich with colour and grace, and sense of remoteness and solitude more pronounced. Hope all is well e hoa.
Cheers,
Robb

April 5, 2011 at 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home