Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Ceilidh at the Snow Farm

I've come close but this weekend past I realised I've never been to a true dinkum Ceilidh before [pronounced "Kayleigh"]. It all began as a fund raiser at the Snow Farm for the kids in the NZ Nordic Sports Development Assoc. This is an organisation I've had a lot to do with - one I believe in as it teaches children in a way that boosts self esteem; caring, life and mountain skills. World wide Cross Country or Nordic skiing consistently achieves these goals, along with international cooperation and tolerance between nations post WWII. e.g World Loppet series races

Dancers take part in a "set" in a dance, the name of which I forget in this traditional Gaelic social gathering, comprised of folk music and dancing...
#alttext#

Graeme "pipes in the haggis" carried by Ray behind him...
#alttext#

After a speech which I must admit I did not understand - a mix of concentrating at being in the right place for a photo, and was it Gaelic language Ray was using before he cut into it. His son did ask later "dad, why were you shouting at the haggis?"...
#alttext#

Local folk singing legend Martin Curtis is "calling" on the left - he's an old friend whose music I've loved for over 20 years [By the dry Cardrona, and Gin and Raspberry, both of which he wrote and sings so well]. I've been fortunate too, to have been in Jock's [center] company before at various "dos" and folk festivals, and that's Sheena on the right...
#alttext#

#alttext#

In the back room there was a TV and as the World Cup Rugby match Ireland v. Australia was screening people drifted there as the match became really exciting. That left these kids, who simply had a great time doing their own rendition, including cartwheels, to the band's music. To see such free spirited souls at work was touching to all concerned...
#alttext#

The band officially finished after midnight, but then came the magic bit of yarning and in between time they'd "jam". Jock as well as being a great musician, is quite the bard and recantour with a great projecting deep voice. During these very relaxed moments post performing, he also simply speaks from his soul via the accordion, in between or during conversations...
#alttext#

Sheena, with Will listening on and looking tired...
#alttext#

Two thirty am as I made my way over an inch of fresh snow to my camper truck...
#alttext#

And next day [Sunday] there was some skiing on fresh snow for all tired souls!
Share |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home