Sunday, September 25, 2011

Walking my Wanaka neighbourhood

I'm not sure why exactly, but for the last few months I've been walking lots and sometimes even jogging when in the mood - often into the deep evening. So thought I'd share aspects of my neighbourhood with you.

Springtime is a beautiful time of year here. I used to live in this street Cherry Court, and even had a minor part in naming it, when it was a new subdivision. So there are lots of memories everywhere...
#alttext#

Part of each work day involves visiting town - again on foot. And there is always something of interest to photograph...
#alttext#

But my big walk for the day gets left until about 6 pm. A few minutes from where I live is a mountain biking area called Sticky Forest. These "old man" trees are on the edge enjoying the setting sun...
#alttext#

After 15 mins. in the trees I reach the tops and can gaze across at my old friend the Grandview Mountains. It was from the tops of this range that Mr Surveyor Thompson, who began his survey of northern Otago in 1857 from the Waitaki catchment, first saw this area including perhaps Mt Aspiring, after riding his horse down the Lindis River valley, then bearing right and up...
#alttext#

If I swing around to my left I can look up Lake Wanaka's Stevenson Arm
#alttext#

Or across the Maungawera Valley to the rugged Mt Gold...
#alttext#

Then I drop down to the lake outlet and head NW around the lake edge in the dark and back home...
#alttext#

This walk always engenders much gratitude in me, that I live in such an amazing place, and am healthy enough to enjoy it fully.

Labels:

Share |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home