Friday, April 25, 2008

LEST WE FORGET [with links to The Press and Ralph Miller]

poppy.jpg ANZAC day... what a wonderful tradition! And thanks Deirdre for prompting me to write and even setting up the image of the poppy for me.

I grew up in the shadow, if you like, of WW II, as my dad was away at that one before I was born, for near on seven years. Even as a kid, although he preferred not to talk of it much I knew his experiences were profound, and therefore in ways I don't fully comprehend they've affected myself also...

... and like him perhaps there is a part of me that wishes to side track talking on that topic, so lets go elsewhere: The press.co.nz has posted an article today, and I'm very taken with a photo ... more >>

2B4C33A4-8AB1-4266-AA28-5526B6A3358C.jpg Also my good friend Brian... his dad Ralph Miller, an artist of that era did some beautiful sketches of life in the Pacific theatre of WWII... more >>









a note on the poppy as the symbol of ANZAC day: The poppy flowers in Turkey in early spring - as it did in April 1915 when the ANZACs landed at Gallipoli. According to Australia’s official war historian C.E.W.Bean, a valley south of ANZAC beach got its name Poppy Valley "from the field of brilliant red poppies near its mouth". I also found this long read, and poem, on the symbolism... more >>
Share |

1 Comments:

Blogger Shirley Goodwin said...

Thanks, Donald. It was just great to hang with my kids - it's really neat when they grow up.

Love some of those earlier post photos - especially the swing bridge. I've been too busy to read many blogs lately, so haven't dropped by for a while.

May 3, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home